Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cop Out

I'm notorious for not finishing things.  I can't even count the number of scarves I've half crocheted or the number of books I've read a third of the way through and then never picked up again.  I've got a half finished scrapbook of my 5 weeks abroad in England that I will probably never complete.  Then there's that circle patterned afghan that I started crocheting last winter but haven't touched since.  Yeah, I've got a problem when it comes to finishing things.

I've also got a problem when it comes to watching TV.  There's just something so relaxing about watching a movie or a good show on TV.  And I'm one of those annoying people who can watch a movie or a television show over and over and over if I like it enough (which doesn't take much).  I also have a thing for watching TV in bed.  It goes back to my days at home with my parents when I would get sick of my mom watching all her reality shows so I'd go to my room with a good movie and paint my toenails.  Throughout college, when Amanda and I were living together, she would often pull me out of my room when I was holed up in there for too long with a stack of movies from the library.  Sadly, Antoine doesn't share my affinity for watching TV in bed.  One of these days I will convert him.

Onto my latest in a long line of cop outs.  See, our upstairs TV doesn't really get any channels, so we I use it mainly to watch DVDs and television show series sets.  A couple months ago I decided to make my way through two of my favorite TV series, Six Feet Under and Gilmore Girls, for which I have the entire box sets.  Hands down, these are and will be my favorite shows ever.  Six Feet Under because it is amazing.  Gilmore Girls because it is hilarious and reminds me of my college days, watching it religiously with Amanda.  So, I decided to start with Six Feet Under, working my way through that and then when I was done, start up Gilmore Girls...to lighten my spirits.  So I watched and watched, just before bed and while I was getting ready for work in the morning, and I made my way through all of Six Feet Under (sidenote: I've lost track of how many times I've watched both of these shows in their entirety...let's just say A LOT).  Well, except for the last episode.  Oh, the last episode of Six Feet Under, it slays me like no other finale ever will!  It is, in my humble opinion, the best series finale EVER.  It is utterly perfect.  And it transforms me into a sobbing puddle of emotional goo every time I watch it.  Yeah, it's not a pretty thing to watch. 

So, I made my way through the entire series and even about 15 minutes into the final episode and then I stopped.  I went downstairs and picked season one of Gilmore Girls off the shelf, put it in, and went merrily on my way.  It's funny that I've seen Six Feet Under so many times and I've never sidestepped the finale before.  In fact, I usually crave its closure and perfection.  But this time I couldn't handle it!  I don't know if it's because I didn't want it to end or I couldn't handle turning into the soggy emotional basket case that it creates in me.  Either way, it is just another one of my cop outs that I will probably never finish...well, until I decide to watch the series in its entirety again.

What about you?  Do you always finish your projects?  Or do you get easily distracted, like me?

No comments: