Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Quest

For a while now, Antoine and I have been on a quest to find the perfect cookie jar.  Don't ask me why, but we really wanted a cookie jar...for some reason.  We had it narrowed down to either an owl cookie jar or a robot cookie jar (a la How I Met Your Mother).  Again, I have no clue why...it's just one of those silly needless things we wanted.  A cool thing to have.  And so the quest began.  Obviously, it started with eBay searches.  Which led to the realization that cookie jars aren't cheap...especially cute owl ones.  And don't get me started on the insane prices of robot cookie jars.  Apparently we weren't the only wackos out their with our hearts set on ridiculously awesome and completely unnecessary things like owl and robot cookie jars.

Part two of our quest to find the perfect cookie jar led us to antique malls.  A and I love antique malls.  I don't know what it is about antique malls that I love so much.  Half the time I don't find anything worth while.  But it's a magical place filled with expensive old shit (that I would never buy even if I had the money), weird expensive things (that I might buy if I had the money), crazy-awesome tacky crap (that Antoine refuses to let me buy...thinking tacky plastic 1970s lamps) and every once in a while, fantastic little treasures.  And they are virtual meccas for those looking for a cookie jar!  Although, like eBay, many of the cookie jars are outrageously priced.  I might have my heart set on an awesome cookie jar, but there's no way I'm paying $100 for one...especially considering I don't need one, I just want one.  So, cookie jars became one of those things that we kept our eye out for...but even at antique malls owl and robot cookie jars are few and far between.  And when you do spot one, they're generally ugly and/or too expensive. Skip forward about a year, after much casual searching...we found it!  The perfect cookie jar.

Two weekends ago, Antoine and I were at the Heart of Ohio antique center (located between Dayton and Columbus).  People had told us that this place was the shit!  Even Martha-fucking-Stewart said it was one of the best antique malls in the country.  Well, if Martha says it's awesome you gotta check it out, right?  See if she's full of crap or not.  It was awesome, but A and I felt that some/most of the prices were a bit steep.  But they had some cool shit, it was well organized, and fairly easy to navigate, considering its size.  Plus, after the first 5 minutes of being there we spotted a wicked owl cookie jar (the original vintage cookie jar that this one is based on)...unfortunately, it was totally out of our price range.  So, we kept looking.  And within 15 minutes Antoine spotted it...an adorable and large owl cookie jar, way in the back of a glass case.  The closer we got to the case, the cuter the cookie jar got.  And then we saw the price tag...$35!  What!?  That's the cheapest, non-tacky cookie jar I'd ever seen.  We peered through the case, not seeing any cracks or chips, thinking it was too good to be true.  Nothing.  Not a scratch.  And with that, we had found our new cookie jar.  And what's even sweeter...that weekend they were having a sale, 10% off any item over $25.  Score! So, without further ado... 

Behold the cuteness:

Isn't he adorable?

He's quite massive (and heavy) so he'll take a good amount of our limited counter space, but I don't care...he's just so adorable.

Now, cookie jars are kind of useless.  I mean, they don't keep cookies fresh.  And in our house, let's face it...cookies aren't going to make it to a jar.  So A and I thought it'd be the perfect place to store flour, something we don't use all that often, but still needs to remain accessible.  Plus, we already had the flour sitting in a canister on the counter anyway.


 That's a 5lb bag of sugar he's sitting next to...dude is big!

No comments: