Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekend in Instagram

As per usual, this weekend went by too quickly.  Even though I sort of had an extra day, since I called in sick on Friday because I had done something funny to my knee the night before.  Luckily, a lot of icing it down and resting helped and it felt much better by Friday evening.

Snuggling with this furry guy didn't hurt either!

 Thursday night was my first attempt at making challah bread.  The finished product was a tasty success.  I made it as part of a surprise for Antoine; along with a meatloaf and mashed potato dinner.

 Friday, while I rested my knee, Cheese laid on Antoine's nap making this face.  He was so excited Antoine was home (as usual), but he was also sleepy (because he's a basset hound) he attempted to fight off the sleepiness and stay awake, so he wouldn't miss anything.  He did not succeed, falling victim to the sleepiness just after I took this picture.

 Friday evening, since my knee was feeling better, we decided to take Cheese to the dog park after dinner.  It was the perfect night for it, breezy and not too warm.

Afterwards we dropped Cheese off at home and treated ourselves to sundaes at Graeter's.  Pictured above is my turtle sundae (my favorite).  Yum!

 Saturday morning Antoine made his famous Cap'n Crunch french toast, this time using my homemade challah bread!  It was very tasty.

 While we ate, this guy laid at our feet being weird and begging for food.

We also picked up two peonies plants for our garden while we were at Lowe's.

Since the weather was so lovely, we took Cheesy for a walk.  Normally we take him on relatively short walks since his leg bothers him sometimes and he gets over heated.  But he seemed to be enjoying it as much as we were, so we kept walking.  Then all of a sudden, he decided he didn't want to walk anymore...
...and stopped and laid down in the middle of the sidewalk.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  And generally after a couple minutes of resting we can pick him back up and coax him on.  However, we were still about a 1/2 mile from home, so there were several more "breaks" along the way and a lot of "Come on Cheesy!  We're almost home!!  Good boy!"

 Then, when we were just 5 feet from our front door, Cheese forfeited again.  This time not even the promise of carrots could make him get up.  After about 10 minutes and a half a handful of carrots he was willing to get up and go inside.

Antoine and I ran some errands and did some more plant-shopping.  Then we went home and cleaned out our raised veggie garden and planted all our veggies for this year:  five tomato plants, five strawberry plants (our two plants from last year multiplied and nearly doubled in size), corn, two types of beans, Brussels sprouts, banana peppers, cucumbers and some lettuce.  I'm very excited, we're planning doing some canning this year.

After all that planting and weeding we thought we deserved a little treat, so we finally tried out the taco truck that had been parked in Pleasant Ridge for over a month now.  We had heard good things, so we were excited to see if it lived up to the hype.  And it did!

We both got three tacos each ($2 per taco, plus $.75 extra for cheese or sour cream).  I got two steak tacos and one chicken taco (pictured above), while Antoine got one steak, one chicken and one beef tongue taco (all came with cilantro, onions, cucumber and lime on corn tortillas).  The steak was very tender and the chicken was very flavorful.  Antoine said the beef tongue was definitely his favorite, that it melted in his mouth.  He also said that he wanted to try the pork tacos next time or a burrito.  The stand also sells tortas, which I've never had but I've heard are really tasty and I'm anxious to try.  I'd highly recommend this stand to anyone in or around the Pleasant Ridge/Norwood area.  It's pretty authentic and reasonably priced.

So, that was our weekend.  Hope you all had a great one!

No comments: