Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Garden: Progress

This past weekend, after some fun at the Crafty Supermarket and much errand running, Antoine and I spent most of the weekend planting.  I potted all my herbs: basil, mint, cilantro, and Thai basil.  Antoine finished filling our massive raised veggie bed with soil, while I planted the hens and chicks I snagged from my grandmother's garden the week before.  Then Antoine and I planted veggies: a combination of veggie plants we bought at Findlay and Lowes, seedlings we started weeks and weeks ago, and seeds sown directly into the soil (aka green beans and corn).  It's only taken us over a year, but we've finally done it!  Word to the wise, don't attempt to plant your own veggie garden when you and your significant other each have a full time and a part time job!  You're just setting yourself up for failure.

Anyway, here's some pictures I snapped over the weekend of our progress...



 Strawberries

 Broccoli

 Carnival Sweet Pepper (one of our little seedlings)

 Sweet Banana Peppers

 Carrots (obviously) 

 Red Onions (we planted a TON of onions)

Mint (aka the "dangerous herb"...because it gets heartier and heartier the more I pick it...that means much mojito drinking for yours truly!)

I have to admit, I felt this great sense of accomplishment once we were done.  I know it's just a matter of digging a hole and throwing a plant in and watering it, but it's taken us so long to just get to this point.  And it's so nice that we finally have the time to do these things that we've been wanting to do.  I'm still nervous as to whether veggies will actually GROW.  My anti-green thumb is notoriously bad and I fear for every single plant in the garden, when left under my care.  But then I also fear little creatures pillaging our garden while I'm at work, I've even been checking on them each night to make sure no one has made off with a pepper plant or something.  So far so good.  Keep your fingers crossed folks, this is bound to be a somewhat bumpy ride...but hopefully one with, at the very least, an onion or two at the end of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay plants! Your garden looks great! Well done, that is a lot of work!

I strongly suggest fencing your garden, otherwise, all your hard work can be lost in one night by one snacking bunny or squirrel. That is the worst when that happens! Also without a fence wandering neighborhood cats WILL poop in your garden which is gross and unhealthy. We just fence our garden with chicken wire & garden stakes, nothing fancy or expensive, & we take down the fence in the Fall.

SusanM

dissolvedintosomething said...

Thank Susan! Yeah, that's our next step...this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I hope for many tasty veggies for you this summer!

SusanM