Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eleven days

Tomorrow will mark the eleventh day since I've seen Antoine (that means today is the tenth, in case you can't count).  It's been a rough week and a half without him, probably the toughest since since he started this whole consulting job (minus the week where Missy got sick).  It is really surprising how well we have coped with this whole consulting business.  In fact, I was stunned in the beginning at how well I managed to keep it together; I quickly understood that I had it easy compared to Antoine, traveling so much, working in a new city with new people, not getting to sleep in his own bed.  Now, after four months of consulting, Antoine and I have found our rhythm.  The consolation prize to him having to travel and work in Chicago four days a week is that our weekends, for the most part, are ours.  We are free to do what we want, when we want and it's a great feeling...especially after having worked two jobs for nearly 3 years (the library and sbux).  Sure, every once in a while our weekends are jam-packed with errands and constant running around.  But then there are those lazy, carefree weekends that just make everything great again.

Through all of this I've discovered that what A and I have is pretty special (which I kind of knew already).  It's been an adjustment, but at the end of the day it hasn't done anything to our relationship but make it stronger.  I know that this is what is best for him right now, he's actually happy with what he's doing.  He's learning new skills and techniques, he's meeting new people and enhancing his professional career.  But, on my end, because of this I don't have to work two jobs.  Sure, we're not rolling in the money, but the new consulting gig balances out our need for part time jobs.  And that's a great thing!

But while four days away has become "no big deal", this week has been rough.  Antoine decided to take advantage of the perks of his job and fly to LA for the weekend to visit his best friend.  And while I was so excited for him to go, I am not a fan of this extra time apart.  I've gotten so used to those four days away and his return on Thursday, it has become our routine.  Ten days (eleven days tomorrow) is just too much!  Couple that with the fact I had some sort of flu earlier last week and the hectic/craziness of packing up Cheese and driving to/around Northern OH all weekend (I'm sick of driving)...I'm so ready for tomorrow to come.  I miss him.  I miss his face and his smile.  I even miss his horrendously loud snoring.  I cannot describe how excited I am for this weekend and the week to follow!  We have so many exciting plans (at least they are exciting to me) this weekend and then all next week Antoine will be working from home.  My heart is going pitter-patter right now, I can't even tell you how ecstatic I am...eekkk!

No comments: