Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Songs

I've currently got a couple albums rotating in my [piece of crap] car stereo that I'd like to share with you (hint, hint...click on the pictures to hear the songs).

The first I've mentioned before, but I just have to mention it again, "Plastic Beach" by the Gorillaz. I heart the Gorillaz, I have from the first moment I heard them. It's about as hip-hop/rap as I get (and yes, I "attempt" to sing along...it's sad). This album is particularly cool, because it features a pretty impressive lineup of music people including the likes of Mos Def, De La Soul, and Lou Reed. My fav, by far, from the album is "Superfast Jellyfish".

That is the epitome of awesomeness!

Another album I'm LOVING this summer is the latest Black Keys, "Brothers". This is their sixth album, and I'm smitten! My favorite from the album is probably "Howlin for You", I think it's a great example of what they do best...blending Patrick's rhythms with Dan's soulful yet energetic voice, all surrounded by some solid guitar! The surprise of the album for me was the first track, "Everlasting Light". It features Dan singing in a much higher key than he normally does, and I love it! It reminds me of Jim James from My Morning Jacket (one of the favorite bands)...yet you still have that very Black Keys feel...

I love this song, it makes me think of Antoine!

The last cd I can't seem to get out of my cd player (not because it's stuck but because I am stuck on it) is "Up From Below" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. It's complete hippie craziness and the perfect summer cd. I know, they're weird...they've got this very cult feel to them and the lead singer, Alex, (who's last name is the same as mine, and might be part of the reason I like them as much as I do) has this very Jesus and/or Charles Manson vibe about him...but their songs are just so joyful!! My favorite song from the cd is, of course, "Home"...

How could you not love this...it's just so freaking sweet!

I will admit this to you, and only you...I bought the album solely for this song (which is not something I ever do...okay, maybe when I was thirteen...but not in my adult life)!! And the first couple times I listened to the cd I didn't care for it...mainly because I just wanted to get to track 6 ("Home"). But now that I've actually listened to it I'm quite enamoured with it, or at least the first half. I still don't care for "Jade" (aka track 5), but tracks 1 through 4 are pretty fantastic! So if you're in a very hippie, dancing-around-like-a-goofball-with-a-giant-smile-on-your-face kind of mood then definitely give this a shot!

No comments: