Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Times They Are a Changin'

That they are Bob Dylan, that they are...

As you may know, lately I've been feeling a bit discontented. At first I thought it was a variety of things all going wrong at once, but now I realize that that is not true. You see, I know I have amazing people in my life who love me and who I'm lucky enough to get to love in return. I've got an amazing house, a great day job that I love and the most wonderful boyfriend a girl could ever ask for! No, these aren't my problems...in fact, they are the only things keeping me sane half the time. I believe my distress lately has been caused by one thing and one thing only...my part time job. Now, in a perfect world devoid of expensive college tuitions and student loan payments I could just quit this second job. I mean, let's face it, if those horrible things didn't exist in the first place then people like myself wouldn't need a second job. In fact, they'd only need one full time job to live comfortably. But, in case you haven't noticed, we do not live in a perfect world. Ce la vie.

So, what to do? Well, for the last couple months I've been doing the only thing I could think of...ignoring it! For the last 3 or 4 months I've been suppressing my growing distaste for my second job...the double standards, the emphasis on the unimportant, and de-emphasis on hard work and effort. With each day I've felt more and more under appreciated, and I know I'm not the only one! Going into work has become a blind jump into an array of emotions, from dread to anger, from sadness to exhaustion...and pretty much everything in between. It wasn't always like this, when I started there I loved it. It was fun, in its own way. Sure I had to do dishes and scrub toilets, but the people were great and I got to make drinks. Now it's become a political bitchfest of rules and regulations that seem to get more stringent by the day, yet they only apply to some people. And instead of happy or content, I'm starting to feel used. And that's no good!

What's the solution? Hmm, that's a tricky one. So far, all I can think of is get a new part time job. So, I've started the process of updating my resume and trying to find a part time job that won't make me so miserable. We'll see how it goes! Please, send happy thoughts my way! And trust me, I'll return the favor!


No comments: