Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mayberry (Brunch): A Delicious Review

I've been wanting to try Mayberry, located on Vine St. next to Hamburger Mary's and the Public Library, for a while now. I had read several reviews raving about it's delicious lunch and dinner, but what I was most intrigued about was their brunch. I'm a lady who LOVES my brunch! And since our favorite brunch place, Daybreak (in Oakley) closed about a year ago (I'm attempting to hold back the tears), Antoine and I have been on an epic search for a new go-to breakfast or brunch place. Mayberry is definitely a contender!

We got there right at 11am on Sunday as they were opening their doors, and we weren't the only ones. It only took about 15 minutes for the small dining room to fill up about three-fourths of the way with hungry, eager diners! The brunch menu contains six main items and then a nice list of additional sides. But Antoine and I knew immediately what we wanted.

Antoine chose the maple sausage gravy with biscuits.

It came with a poached egg on top. The portion was generous with two biscuits, split in half, and tons of gravy containing large, rich chunks of sausage. Antoine was very pleased with his decision, and said he would definitely get it again.

For me, it was a no-brainer! I usually prefer the sweeter options for brunch, such as pancakes or waffles, so the Elvis Killer seemed like the obvious choice!

Elvis Killer: french toast with peanut butter mousse, bananas, and toasted peanuts! I was absolutely tickled pink with this dish! The mousse was out-of-this-world-good! Like I wanted a bowl of it...it was that good! But I love peanut butter and I love pb and bananas together, so that probably contributed to my affection for this dish.

We also decided right off the bat that we needed to sample one of the delicious sounding/looking sides! I'd heard great things about the bacon (and really, how can you go wrong with bacon). I'd also heard that their tater tot casserole was legendary (legend-wait for it-dary...get it, How I Met Your Mother?! Come on people!). And their danishes, which were in a basket on the counter within arms length of us, were looking especially amazing! Decisions, decisions, decisions. It came down to the bacon and the tater tot casserole, but since their website says "Building community one tater tot casserole at a time!!"...that seemed like the obvious choice! And boy, I'm glad we got it! I mean, look at it...

Mmmm! I could just eat this all day! It was rich and the cheesy crust on top was heavenly! Now, having got this, I don't see how I could ever go there and NOT get this!

After breakfast and coffee, which was delicious Seven Hills Coffee roasted right hear in the Queen City, we were thoroughly stuffed and satisfied! Mayberry definitely did not disappoint! It was everything I expected and so much more. It's name serves it well...just like the quaint little town in the Andy Griffith Show there's something homey and comforting about this Mayberry. Sure, it's got an upscale, contemporary twist to it, but at it's core it's comfort food. It might clog every single artery in your body, but there's no question that it warms the soul. I'll definitely be back for brunch. Will it be our new Daybreak? I'm not sure. It might be too caloric since we're on a diet and all! But I'm already daydreaming about the deliciousness of the Elvis Killer and that tater tot casserole. And I'm eager to visit Mayberry for dinner...the menu looks equally tasty and appealing!

So, if you haven't tried Mayberry...do it! Now! Even if you're trying to diet/watch your weight like myself...every once in a while you need a little splurge! And Mayberry is so worth the splurge!

**Sad Update: We recently discovered that Mayberry will no longer be serving brunch! Antoine and I have been mourning ever since we heard. But frankly, it's understandable...Joshua Campbell (the owner and chef) has been spreading himself thin lately what with his booth at Findlay Market (World Food Bar) and talk of him opening a new Urban Grocery store downtown. But we will miss brunch at Mayberry oh so much! Do not fear though, the tater tot casserole is still available on both the lunch and dinner menus.

No comments: