Friday, December 16, 2011

Soup Weather

It's getting a bit chilly nowadays...well, except for that silly warm spell we had earlier this week!  WTF?  It's December, I want snow!  Not rain and 60 degree weather.  Come on! Also, it's that time of the year when people get sick (I blame the fluctuation in temperature)!  Case in point...me.  Currently I am of the "death popsicle" state where I look and sound like a walking plague of nasty germs.  But have no fear, I am a relatively self-aware walking germ...carrying my box of Puffs (with lotion) under on arm and my hand sanitizer in the other.  It's not a pretty sight, but at least I'm trying not to spread my germs to my coworkers.  Piss me off though, and I'll spit in your coffee!  Muwhahahaha! 

Wait.  What was I talking about!?  Oh yeah, 'tis the season of cold weather and illness, which means it's that time of the year that lends itself beautifully to a nice big bowl of soup.  And these days, having dated a fella of Vietnamese decent for several years now, it's not surprising that my soup of choice is pho.  Pho (fyi, it's not pronounced "fo", more like "fa") is a Vietnamese soup traditionally made with beef, rice noodles, a anise infused broth and add-ins such as Thai basil, lime, bean sprouts, and hoisin sauce.  While the beef version (pho bo) is probably the most popular, my favorite is the chicken version (pho ga).  And while Antoine's mom makes a mean pot of pho ga, she doesn't make it often since it typically takes most of the day to make it.  So, when either Antoine or I are in the mood for some pho or banh mi (a Vietnamese sandwich traditionally made with grilled pork, pate, or a selection of coldcuts (read: head cheese...YUCK!  Btw, they have a chicken version as well) we hit up Pho Lang Thang, a fairly new and wildly popular Vietnamese restaurant in Findlay Market.  You've seen me blog about Pho Lang Thang before, because it's a nice local place producing, in my opinion, some pretty tasty Vietnamese food (not as good as A's mom, but still mighty tasty!).  Last Friday, Antoine picked me up from work and we headed over to Pho Lang Thang.  Lunch time and weekends can get kind of busy, but if you go around 5pm on a Friday it's really quiet...



Mmm, I love Vietnamese ice coffee!  I mean, how could you not...it's got sweetened condensed milk in it!  YUM!

Handsome.

No comments: