Thursday, April 1, 2010

Happy April Fools' Day!

Normally I'm not one to give a crap about April Fools' day, mainly because I'm horrible at playing tricks on people, but also because I don't want tricks played on me! Regardless, over the last couple years, three to be exact, I've actually been excited about April Fools' day. Why, you might ask? Edible Books! Every year on April 1st our library and libraries across the country and around the world participate in the Edible Book Festival. It's simple...you make a book or something that depicts certain book, but it must be edible. For some reason, every year I get really really into it. I guess at its core it's an opportunity to be creative and fun and do something out of the ordinary, and that's why I love it so much.

For my first Edible Books I did "The Celery Stalks at Midnight" from the Bunnicula series. I made a Bunnicula/rabbit out of rice krispie treats and then covered it in black and white frosting and then surrounded him by celery and included a yummy peanut butter dip for said celery. I thought it was quite cute. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my Bunnicula since all the pictures I had were on my laptop, which recently decided to commit suicide on it's hard drive! Serves me right for not backing up everything!

Last year I decided I wanted to actually make something that looked like a book. Somehow Homer's "Odyssey" came to mind, and I figured there was a lot of material to work with there so I went with it.

I used a sheet cake to carve out the shape of an open book. I carved into the cake (on the left) to create the Charybdis (the whirlpool that nearly consumes Odysseus and his ship). Antoine made me a little white chocolate ship to sit on the edge of the Charybdis (because he's awesome). Then I made a little rice krispie cyclops...I couldn't help myself! I love working with rice krispies and I knew the Cyclops had the potential to be really cute.

I finished it off by writing (in frosting) a couple of excerpts from the book that related to the Charybdis and the Cyclops.

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for tomorrow to see what this year's edible book looks like...but I'll give you a couple hints. Laura Numeroff. Rice krispies (well, you should have seen that one coming!)

Happy April Fools' day everyone! See you tomorrow!

No comments: